Monday, February 9, 2009

Weekend Winery Visits


Saturday was the day I made my return to the Opera stage at the Hult Center in Il Trovatore after 29 years of no opera so I was a little stressed. I put on my rehearsal CD and drove south. On the way to Cottage Grove I stopped for a taste at Saginaw Winery and was very taken by their Pinot Gris and 06 Pinot Noir. They also make a variety of fruit wines that I have tried in the past and have been pleasantly surprised by. I really like the blueberry. They use two pounds per bottle and it is very good and not the syrup one would expect. I will return soon to see if they will donate a bottle to the auction.
I continued in to Cottage Grove and followed the wine route that they post. A winding drive out 13 miles to Chateau Lorane was rewarded with some excellent wines and a nice surprise.
As I talked to Lindy on the phone and confirmed his wonderful gift of an 05
Huxelrebe the young couple, Mina and Dustin White, standing nearby overheard me and ask if they could buy a wine and contribute it to our cause. They selected the 06 Chardonnay. Dustin owns and operates a landscape service in Port Orchard, Washington; Sage Creations Contractors. They were celibrating a year of marrage with an trip through Oregon wineries.
After I left there I drove up Terroirtorial Road and headed to Secret House for to receive their git of TWO bottles of wine: the red is an exceptional 06 Pinot Noir that will stand up against any out there and a VERY good Muller-Thugau with nice peachy floral highlights.
Afetr all that it was off to get in to my Tux and on to the stage. The after party was at OPUS6IX Gallery . for lots of food and LaVelle's Chardonnay and Pinot Noir that Doug gave to the Eugene Opera as a donation to support our local arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments on the project and add any wineries I have not listed.