Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Umpqua Valley in the Rain

I started the day with a 7:30 Travel Lane County meeting about the re-branding, then 2 hours pouring over the financials at OMP.
I was ready for a road trip! Heading south on I-5 I stopped at Oakland for a snack at Tolly's
and then off to find wine. First stop was Henry Estate where Daniel gave me a real nice surprise: a 2003 Barrel Select Pinot Noir. I made my way up a winding road Reustle Prayer Rock Vineyards and was amazed to find a wine cave with private tasting rooms, and carved stone statues. They gave us a 2007 Grüner Veltliner .
Off to Becker Vineyard where we were treated to a 07 Pinot Noir. I found my way to Palotai

and tasted the Bull's Blood and the 07 Pinot Noir. They gave us an 07 Bull's Blood, a rich table red with lots of old world flavors.
My last stop of the day was at MarshAnne Landing. Great folks there. Greg and Fran gave me a tour of their tasting room and property. They are located in one of Oregon's best keep secret valleys. Rolling hills and green pastures and a wonderful view off the Cascades. I left with Red Planet, cloves and earth with a hint of sour blackberry. The web site is way out of date so do not be misled by the pictures: The tasting room is large and very modern with lots of light and a wonderful view.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments on the project and add any wineries I have not listed.