Friday, February 13, 2009

Benton County Surprise

Today I got up at 6:00, after sleeping from 10:00 the night before...a record for me for the past few years, and decided to take a chance on Friday the 13th and go on a wine adventure.
I stopped at OMP offices and picked up my paperwork ( I hate paperwork!), had coffee at MidTown, the headed north. I passed Tyee on the way to Corvallis and called to make sure they would be around later. I went to Wineopolis and had the usual great and uplifting conversation with the owner. He gave me some tips on wineries to contact and off I went! Man on a mission!
I went around the corner and down the street to Pioner Hopyard Vineyard 255 SW Madison and in to Coleman Jewellers. When I was much younger I bought a nice necklace for a girlfriend there. Nice memory. Anyway, John said that they had an old hopyard up past Salem that had been in the family for years and they decided to grow wine there. The result is an astoundingly good Pinot Noir! The 2003 is subtle and rich, like a ballet dancer, strong and full of energy.
The next stop was Spindrift Cellars out in Philomath where I picked up such a wonderful wine that I almost just stopped for the day. They let me taste the wine they were giving us, a 2006 Pinot Noir. OMG it was good! They gave me four tasting certificates also and whoever gets the case they are in is in for a treat! Megan was more that helpful and patient with me...has anyone ever told me I talk to much???
Away and on to Lumos Winery. Big dog, nice folks, wonderful wine and a VERY COOL web site!
Last stop for the day was Tyee Wine Cellars. Danial was nice enough to meet me at the tasting room, even though they are closed, and give me a bottle of the 2006 Barrel Select Pinot Noir.
I look forward to April when they open for tasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments on the project and add any wineries I have not listed.