Thursday, February 19, 2009

My First Long Day of Wine Gathering

I left Eugene on the 18th about 7:00 and drove straight through to Oregon City and found a cheep but nice Best Western right on the river. They gave me great deal and a fourth floor room with a wonderful view. Times are hard and there were very few cars in the lot and fewer diners at the restaurant adjoining the motel. I had a nice meal with a glass of Firesteed Pinot Gris.
This morning after a traditional bacon and eggs I headed down town to pick up a bottle of Holloran's 2007 Staford Hill Pinot Noir they brought down to his office for me. Stafford Hill provides outstanding value for handcrafted, small production wines.
After getting directions I drove to Lake Oswego on 43 then left on McVey to Rosemont ( be careful the round about as the sign is not visible so you have to go all the way around to see it) then back south to Oswego Hills Vineyard and Winery. It is a beautiful farm with white barns and house. They are building a new tasting room using the same style. I found Jerry Marshall, the owner, covered with sawdust and looking very happy. He was gracious with me for interrupting him and gave me one of his very best wines, the Vintage Select Oregon Pinot Noir 2006.
I took I205 to Tualatin and cut over to 99w and headed south with a stop at Ponzi Vineyards where Jeff Mathews gave me bottle of their 2006 Chardonnay Reserve.
He said that they were very proud of this one and gave me a taste. It had a very light, sweet nose with a little citrus and burnt sugar, it tasted like soft spiced berry fruit. Loved it!
On to Rex Hill for a bottle of Chardonnay and a bottle Day and Night Red from A to Z. Great web site!

I made stops at Adelsheim, (where they just put in a solar array!) and picked up a truly great wine, the 2006 Elizabeth's Reserve, and at Bergstom where Sara Kofman, the tasting room manager, gave a 2007 Shea Vineyard Pinot Noir. These kind of donations makes this whole trip worthwhile!
I went in to Newburg and found Chehalem Winery tasting room and picked up a INOX Chardonay. "Dave McIntyre's WineLine, June 11, 2006, "Two Unoaked Chards." ABC really could be called ABO -- anything but oak. The extreme example of the movement's success is unoaked Chardonnay. These came originally from New Zealand and Australia, but some wineries in the U.S. are now making them and bragging about it. Oregon's Chehalem bottles an unoaked "INOX" (French for stainless steel) Chard that is a winner year in and year out."
Now for a drive: I, like most men, hate to turn around or ask where I am so off into the hills! I found Vidon Vineyard and had a good time talking to Don Hagge, the owner, and enjoying his amazing view. He gave a bottle of 2007 3 Clones Pinot Noir (90 points in Wine Spectator in the April Issue). Thank you Don!
I was excited by the next stop because of things I had heard about Peter Rosback and his wine making skills. Sineann Block One is a Cabernet made from grapes grown in the Columbia Valley by Paul Champoux. The vineyard is one of the oldest in the Northwest and has constantly produced intense and complex Cabernet Sauvignon.He also gifted me personally with a small bottle of 2008 Pinot Gris that I am tasting even as I write. Honey and wild flowers on the nose with an acidic taste that turns to very pleasant tingle on the tongue! I really like this wine.
Now for another wild chase through the valley: Owen Roe and O'Reilly was hard to find: no cell signal, but I found them and he rewarded me with a 2007 O'reilly's Pinot Noir and an Owen Roe 2006 Pinot Noir Eola-Amity Hills, their richest of the 06 Pinot Noirs.
On the way south I stopped at Duck Pond and was given a 05 Pinot Noir Jory Cuvee "WINEMAKER NOTES: Using grapes primarily from its estate St. Jory vineyard in the South Salem Hills (and 9% from the Dundee Hills), the ’05 Pinot Noir Jory Cuvee is a wine that is bright and yet complex. It opens with aromas of petals, spicy pie cherries, raspberries and cinnamon, followed by clean flavors of raspberries, Rainier cherries and cranberries, with hints of vanilla. " (Quoted from their wine club site.)
My last stop, right at 5 till 5:00 was Four Graces. This is a wine that I look forward to trying again. They let me sample the 2007 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir and I liked the structure and the light fruit of the wine. This is the perfect example of the wine being strong yet delicate, like a ballet dancer rather than a weight lifter. It has been compared to a new world Burgundy but I think it is time we begin to just say that it is a Dundee Pinot Noir.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments on the project and add any wineries I have not listed.