Friday, February 27, 2009

An Afternoon in the Mid Valley

After a Looong board meeting this morning I struck out to gather some wine in the area around Eola-Amity AVA. My first stop was Orchard Heights. I was amazed by their tasting room/snack bar/ gift shop! You would never know what is inside by what is outside. They were so nice and helpful! We were given a bottle of Bronze medal winning Pinot Gris and one of the 2007 Merlot made with 100% Oregon grapes. I really like the Merlot for its deep chocolate and fruit. I also got just a hint of tobacco and leather in the back taste. Nice!
A lot of the wineries are closed now but I did find Redhawk open and got to meet the owner John Pataccoli. He was very nice and even though I interrupted him while he was bottling , he gave us a bottle of his best selling "Grateful Red". I recommend a visit to taste the wines, and to see John smile when he talks about them!
I was in a rush to find more wineries open and I saw Bryn Mawr. Meeting David Lloyd-Jones lowered my blood pressure by a few points and made me want to stop what I was doing and join him in the vineyards to learn the proper pruning methods. His rambunctious dogs and the docile sheep, the view (which he should also bottle) and his calm and patient demeanor, all made me very pleased to be there. We tasted his 06 and 07 Pinot Noirs: Yin and Yang. The yang was the 06 with its power ans rich chocolate and fruit and spirited taste. The yin was the subtle, soft, and vital 07. As I held it in my mouth it began to open and gently let loose the fruit and flowers. Such a huge difference between them yet there was a distinct sense that David's hand had made each one, from the planting to the pruning to the harvesting. I can't wait to spend more time there. I think he might be a secret poet! You HAVE to read his web site.
David was kind enough to give us two bottles of his 07 Pinot Noir. I think this is as good or better than most of the "big boys" in the area.
Bethel Heights was next. What they gave me was a true nectar of the Gods. I have drank this wine before and even have it in my tasting notes! "Rich deep lasting flavor of sweet pear and anise, dry wheat and pepper. Love it!" It is the 05 Chardonnay done in oak.
Ted and Pat were working in the office when I came in and plead my case and when ask for a wine that they were very proud of, the 05 Chard came first. I am taking Linda up in May to buy me a birthday present!
I swung by another winery to pick up a donation from Whistling Dog and the woman at the vineyard where I picked it up was very nice and sweet. The wine Celeste left for me is a big Pinot Noir: lush mouth feel, lots of rich fruit and soft sweet finish. I can't wait till they have their own tasting room. The 06 Pinot Noir has already gained a rep and three of the other wineries I stopped at spoke very well of it.
My next stop involved daffodils! As I got out of the car at Kristen Hill a had to stop and think about what moth it was. It IS still February is it not? She had Daffodils blooming in the yard! My attention soon moved to wine: Pinot Gris. I did not taste it but will before the auction and will tell you what I think.
Last stop! Amity Vineyards.
Deep history of wine there. I had already picked up an 06 Pinot Noir from them at the Newport fest but had to stop and taste the rest. Absolutely wonderful whites, reds, and desert wines. You have to go and spend some time sampling and buying. The range of tastes in the 06 Pinot Noir are astounding!
Back home now with wine everywhere and not a drop to drink...I have to break into my cellar tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments on the project and add any wineries I have not listed.