Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Catching Up on Oregon Wines

Though it has been some time since I wrote so much has happened. My show at Coos Art Museum is up and runs through the 28th of June. They have sold work and I am happy.

Now back to wine.
My studio assistant Heather was convinced she did not like wine so one the way back from Coos Bay I took her through Elkton and stopped at Brandborg Winery and let her taste some of Oregon's finest whites. 
The first taste prompted a surprised look and a smile. The white Pinot Noir (first free run, little skin contact) was a joy. Complex, as a good Pinot Noir should be, but with white peach and citrus swirled around in both mouth and nose. She got a bottle of this one.Here is her reaction to real Oregon wines:
   Until I tasted several wines at Brandborg in Elkton, I had never liked wine. I had tried heavy red wines that I disliked, so I thought that all wine was too strong, heavy and bitter for me. When I told Robert that I didn't like wine, he suggested that I try the 2012 Fleur de Lis White Pinot Noir and suspected that I
would enjoy it despite the fact that I have always avoided wine. We went to Brandborg to taste it, and I was surprised at the light, fresh taste. It defied all of my preconceived notions about wine--it was not the least bit heavy or bitter and didn’t taste strongly of alcohol.
    I was interested to try a few other wines after discovering how much I enjoyed the Fleur de Lis. I found that I liked a few other whites at Brandborg including the 2012 Pinot Gris and 2009 Riesling. I even tried some red wines and liked the 2007 Love Puppets Pinot Noir. I enjoyed experiencing the different character of each wine, and I was surprised at the unique mixture of fruity and floral tastes in each wine. I found that not all wine is strong and bitter after all.

There you have it. Even a novice can grow to like Oregon wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments on the project and add any wineries I have not listed.