Monday, December 3, 2012

A Little Late Night Nectar

A few weeks ago I had the occasion to shop the local Bi-Mart for bird seed and unsalted peanuts for my new friend the scrub Jay. I recalled what a large wine area they they used to have years ago so I wondered over for a look. There, on the highest shelf, a lone bottle, marked down to $11.99, was a bottle of Bradley Vineyard '07 Riesling. I picked it up, trying to act nonchalant as I placed it carefully in my cart and made for the register.
A little history: I was at Bradley in '08 when he released this one and he gave one to the "One Bottle Project" plus I bought one after tasting. I was light and crisp with nice German tones and I bit of that lovely petroleum hint on the nose. It was light and crisp then but it had a deep undertone of apple and white fruit. Now it is golden toned with a heady nose of baked apple, ripe pear, and honey. In the mouth it transforms with elegant pear and caramel with a tartness that is not at all unpleasant. Nice acid and sugar balance. Truly nectar of some god somewhere.
If you have not taken the time to drive off the freeway to Elkton, DO IT! There are three wonderful wineries there and each has won many awards. The micro climate there has its own unique way of developing the fruit.
Visit Brandborg, River's Edge, and Bradley and you will be charmed and amazed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments on the project and add any wineries I have not listed.