Friday, February 24, 2012

High Pass Surprize! High Pass '08 Walnut Ridge Pinot Noir

There are many wineries in Oregon whose name comes to the tip of ones tongue such as King, Ken Wright, Domaine whatever, but some of the lesser knows have big things to offer.
Last night I dug in to the cellar for a wine that would be good for our kitchen rack, a wine that Linda could open while I was gone and not feel guilty about not sharing.
I was very surprised to find a bottle of High Pass' Walnut Ridge Vineyard '08 Pinot Noir. I had forgotten gathering this one but as we bought it at auction, I felt compelled to taste.
When I opened it and sat it on the counter I walked in to the living room and sat down for some TV. Moments later I began to smell red berry and chocolate. I got up and went in to the kitchen and poured a glass of this aromatic wine.
As it warmed and opened it began to display a much more complex nose. Heavy notes of dark berry, cooked rhubarb, chai, and chocolate were almost overwhelming!
I sipped a bit, expecting a heavy, hard taste but instead was greeted with a most pleasant and soft fruit forward taste that lingered, with top notes of sweet apple and a perfect balance that left me wanting another sip.
This is one of the most interesting and complex Pinot Noirs I have tasted from the lower Willamette Valley. I would highly recommend this wine to keep for at least 5 more years or drink now with lots of salad and game meats as it will stand against any heavy gamey meats and have room to spare. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments on the project and add any wineries I have not listed.