Thursday, October 15, 2009

Rainy Day in Elkton and Umpqua

One of my goals this year is to gather all the wines I was given last time and to get the ones I missed. With that in mind I headed out to Elkton early this morning with the sun shining in my window and BeauSoleil playing me down the road. I stopped to pick up a certificate for 18 holes for my other auction project and then started thinking about coffee.

As I drove through Drain looking for a likely coffee stop I thought I was out of luck. Then, as I started to go out toward Elkton I saw Uncle John's Great Coffee booth sitting on the right side of the road and swung in for a wake-up.. I mentioned my quest and was promptly given a $5.00 gift card to include in the auction for those who end up buying the Elkton wines! And the coffee was really good.
My first stop in Elkton was Rivers Edge Winery where, as promised, Vonnie gave a bottle of the '07 Barrel Select Pinot Noir. Great nose of coffee and current with an unfolding  pallet of berry, Bing cherry, and tobacco.
They were in mid harvest and said the vines were heavy with fruit this year. The two women, Meredith and Savana (one of whom is a wine steward at Delmonico's in New York, the other a Peace Corps veteran studying oenology at Davis) working as interns, were busy checking brix and Ph on grapes they just brought in from the vineyards. Not ready yet and the rain was falling. It is going to be an interesting year.

I stopped at Bradborg for their donation of a a Ferris Wheel Estate Pinot Noir, a 2008 SF International Wine Competition SILVER MEDAL winner. I love their wines and feel bad that more people don't stop on the way to the coast for a case. Here is their friend Joan holding the prize winner.



I read the other day about how beautiful Maine is this time of year...they got nuthin' on us.

These turkeys were feeding just below the Bradley Vineyards ,shown here in a glorious yellow.
John Bradley was great to talk to and I spent the better part of an hour tasting and learning about the wines,  the vineyards and about this years grapes. He gave a bottle of a really delicious Riesling. An very dry '08 with a subtle melon and citrus taste. Then I tasted his '07 Baco Noir....I am stunned. This is one of, if not THE best Bacos I have ever tasted! Rich and compelling with big cherry and chocolate and much much more. I brought a bottle home and Linda and I drank it after dinner. I could not help but smile as I tasted it again!
Before I left town I stopped at Tomaselli's for a sandwich and was informed that I had missed one of the wineries; Anador Vineyards.
They showed me the only bottle left on the shelves and I took it for the collection, a 2006 Gewurztraminer. The owners of the winery were in town but I had to get going and did not have time to track them down, to bad, I would have liked to meet them.


Now off we go to Henry Estate for a great bottle of the '04 Pinot Noir. They always make Pinots that last well and age accordingly so you can get a range of years, in This case, the '04 is drinking very well.
with a cherry and earth nose. ripe fruit and spice taste long round finish .
Down the road, I stopped in at Becker Winery 
and met Peggy coming down from the vineyard. She let me taste the many of their wines, including the '08 Barrel Select that I came away with. They age wines in different oak and the difference is striking, especially the American vs the French barrels. Stop and taste for yourself. 
When I got to Palotai Vineyard and Winery I was greeted by the Llamas and sheep who watched me make my way down the long driveway to the tasting room. Last time John gave me a choice of wines and I chose Bull's Blood. This time I almost went for the Attila Red but ended up again with the signature red, Bull's Blood. Very good wines and a good variety to chose from. The Sarah is outstanding.
Well, time to head for home and a nice glass. I had one last stop to make: Marshanne Landing outside of Oakland. Greg was rolling barrels around in the cellar when I got there. He took me up and showed me the new art and I wish I could afford the work! The new gallery and tasting room is just beautiful! Greg and his wife Fran are huge supporters of the arts and often have concerts at the winery. I saw them both at last weeks Eugene Opera Auction where they gave a case of the '08 Sarah. I took home a the '07 Cab Franc and the Sarah and he gave me a bottle of the Cab Franc for the auction!
I am sipping my Cab Franc now! Good Night!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments on the project and add any wineries I have not listed.