Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Friday: On the Trail of the Elusive "One Bottle"


Lost? Men don't get lost, they just don't like to turn around... I consider myself to be rather above average, smart, capable, all that, until I read a wine donation form as Dallas instead of The Dalles. Who knew there was a Court Street in both towns? A phone call and an embarrassed Robert led me to head out of town in a direction I swore was North. After driving for miles on gravel roads and watching the clock pass noon I found a paved road and headed...back to town.
I am sure there is a winery in Falls City but I really had no time.
On to Van Duzer Vineyards by way of another graveled road though this one led to a rich reward! They gave me a bottle of Homestead Block Pomard 2005 Pinot Noir. I have tasted many wines in Oregon and this is one my personal favorites. The grapes come from one block of vineyards just east of the tasting room and are the oldest they have.
"For several years, we’ve been beguiled by the powerful fruit coming off this small vineyard which, as its name suggests, was the site of the homestead on the property. The plot was planted in 1982 to vines of the Burgundian Pommard clone which have responded to conditions on the south-facing elevated benchland site with remarkably concentrated flavors of dark cherry".
quick trip over to Amity and a visit with Susan at Coelho Winery for some tatses and a bottle of 2006 Divertimento Pinot Noir Rose'.
Traveling north I headed for Maysara Winery and found Mathew Sweet working away and decided to give him a break and taste some wine. The winery is hidden back in the hills and is a gem. I left with a bottle of 2005 Delara Pinot Noir. Superb and just about ready to drink. They make wines to lay down and wait for the right moment. It garnered90 pts. in “WINE ENTHUSIAST (November 2008)
I drove in to McMinnville and stopped at Eyrie Winery for a bottle of history. They were the first to plant and harvest Pinot Gris here in Oregon and the 2007 Pinot Gris is a celebration of that fact. Brianne was so sweet and full of knowledge about the wines I ask what led her to this life. Turns out she has traveled the world working in wineries and learning about wines and is now in the program at Chemeketa. She will be a star someday. I plan to go visit her and buy the first wine she makes.
I made for Carlton to the Winemakers Studio to pick up Andrew Rich's 2006 Pinot Noir, J.Daan's 2006 Pinot Noir, and after talking to Phill, a bottle of The Studio 2006 Pinot Noir. I plan on going back and seeing if the other winemakers will donate as well.
I ended the day at ADEA Wine Company and had nice glass of 2005 Dean-o's Pinot Noir. Lush, fruit forward, nice acid balance and earthy back of the mouth feel. Lots of layers to explore. Took a bottle of this one for the auction!
I stopped at The Dundee Bistro and had a burger sans bun and a strip of thier famous bacon with apple and farmers cheese along with a glass of Hamacher's Pinot Noir.
A rest and some coffee and back to Eugene.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments on the project and add any wineries I have not listed.