Friday, March 20, 2009

Adventures in Southern Oregon


Never pick up hitch hikers! Unless they are a young married couple touring the western states working in vineyards and on organic farms. I stopped on the way through Cottage Grove and gave them a lift all the way to Medford with a stop at Del Rio and a "thank you" for thier donation and a taste of the outstanding Pinot Gris!
Then, on a whim, I ask if they had ever heard of "The Oregon Vortex"?
Away we went. A short drive up a winding road to the weirdest and kitchiest place I have been since I was there last time. 1950's here we come. I have been going there since I was a little boy and have gone back at least 15 times. Always confused and it makes the rational part of my brain, small though it is, hurt. I do like watching the eyes of new
people when they start seeing the weird stuff that goes on.
There are places where you shrink and grow... Like here-
and all sorts of optical oddities. If you have not been, go. Just for the fun of feeling like you just got off a ride at the carnival. (I am 6 foot, Jack is about 5'5")

Off to Medford where I dropped them off at a mall to wait for their couch surfing connection.
I wandered around Medford looking for a friend's restaurant on Central, the main south street through the downtown area. I took me a while to find it because it had a big, obvious sign...
I stopped and ask directions at a wine shop, Corks Wine Bar
where Fred gave me tips on what wineries to visit and sampled up a few great Southern Oregon wines.
When I finally found "38 Central" next door, I drove over two blocks to my idea of camping, Red Lion, checked in, and walked back to the restaurant.
I had met David Graham on facebook through one of the wine groups, Must love wine, and was impressed by his motivation and knowledge so I had to try out his food.
There are few things better than finding a great meal, a good friend, and an excellent wine! I sat at the bar and ordered a salad - A True Chop Salad full of Seasonal Vegetables and Lettuce with Things a Rancher Would Add: Rogue Creamery Bleu Cheese, Hard Boiled Egg and Crumbled Bacon. OMG!
As I ate this wonderful dish, a busy David recognized me and with a big smile welcomed me. We chatted about food, wine, the economy, and his plans for the place. We also arranged fop me to bring paintings by Allen Cox to hang.
I ordered the ribs and as I sat there sipping a wonderful gris, David presented me with what has to be the best Mac and Cheese on the planet! I took one taste and could not stop...so much for the ribs though I did manage to get all the meat taken care of. I met Chriss Dennett, the proprietor of Elements Tapas Bar nearby and promised a visit next trip down. This is not the scary, John Birch, right wing crazy Medford I remember from my childhood. There is an air of sophistication and richness of food that Eugene unfortunately lacks downtown, except for a few places like Marche' , Adam's, and Perugino. Must be the climate.
David was nice enough to email some of the wineries and let them know I was on my way to beg for wine. Out early and on the road to Cowhorn Vineyard and Garden
where Bill Steck told me the story of the land and why grapes do so well there. Bottom river soil with lots of rock, not good for much except alfalfa and you can't make wine out of that so grapes it was. I was presented with a 2006 Sarah from Estate grown grapes. I can't wait to go back with Linda during our Ashland visits this year.
I missed Cricket Hill as no one was around but I will visit them on the return trip.
Next came a double header: Fiasco winery and Jacksonville Vineyards, both owned by Dave and Pamela Palmer. I stopped in at Fiasco and sampled the 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon, that years ago wine "experts" said would not grow well in Southern Oregon due to the volcanic soil. So much for that. The wine had a mellow, big mouth feel and lots of dark fruit, vanilla and hints of raw chocolate. Plum aftertaste. Very good! I left with a bottle of that and with a bottle of Jacksonville Vineyards 2005 Claret, a blend of 50%cab sauv, 36%Merlot, 10% cab franc, and 4% Malbec.
On down the road to Longsword. I always enjoyed stopping there for a taste and a few bottles of incredible Chardonnay (no oak) when they had the little stand at the front gate and a couple of tables. Now they have a real tasting room but I hope you can still sit out by the road and sip. Melinda gave me a bottle of the 2007 Chardonnay for the auction. Thank you Matt, for your nice gift!
John Michael Champagne was the next stop and I left with a bottle of the Sparkling Red 2002. I have had his wine before and it is REALLY good. A nice surprise on a hot summer day.
And yes, I know you can't call it champagne...
A real treat, if you have some time and want to learn all about wines, grapes, bottling, et al, you have to visit The Academy of Wine of Oregon and talk to Bernard. I was in a rush this time but plan on some long tasting later in the year. He gave me, after much hesitation about what to hand over, a 2003 Cabernet Sauvignon. This is a bottle worth bidding on by its self!
I visited Valley View and tasted some of the wonderful wines they make. The donated a 2005 Merlot last month at the Newport Wine Fest. I stopped and had lunch and met with Bruno Pedro of CMG, Lda.
He had flown in to SF and driven up to visit wineries and show them his corks. The next time I am in Portugal I am promised a tour of the wineries!
Rossella's was next for a bottle of their rich and ripe 2006 Merlot.
I was disappointed to miss Schmidt, Wooldridge, and Bridgeveiw but will see them on the First of April.
I also stopped by Troon and tasted what they had out. I have heard from people that they make great wine. I will be picking up a bottle of 2004 Old Vine Meritage!
Last stop of the day was indeed a treat!
RoxyAnn has many things to offer: Great wines, enthusiastic staff, food, nice outside and inside seating, and Michael Donovan who, for those Ashland visitor who have had the pleasure over the years to eat at Chateaulin, will recognize. He sold it to his employees and went in to retirement, until he was recruited by RoayAnn to run the show. And can he run a show!
I was there for about two hours, tasted, eat Rouge Valley cheese, sample chocolate, and was generally entertained. Michael gave me a bottle of 2006 RoxyAnn Claret. I also met the new winemaker, John Quinones.
A day well spent and 9 bottles to show for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments on the project and add any wineries I have not listed.