Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Barrel Tasting

The Abbey wine warehouse lets me store all the wines I have gathered for free so on Thusday I took a few cases up for safe keeping. Rebecca took me over to Carlton Cellars where she took some samples of her Pinot Blanc.
Dave and Robin gave me a magnum of the '07 Lands End Pinot Noir. For those of you still laboring under the false idea that '07 was a bad year, go get that bottle of '07 you have hidden and taste it. We tasted the 1879 '07 on Friday at Authentica and it is outstanding! Most of the '07s I have tasted have developed in bottle and are beautiful. This magnum should be a big pleaser!
We went over to Horse Radish for lunch and were treated to some great chow! Julie has done great job on the place and the food says it all.
After lunch I joined Rebecca on  visit to  De Ponte and their wonderful winemaker, Isabelle. We spent a good hour tasting out of the various barrels and enjoying the various tastes and smells. I love watching someone so skilled do their job. She gave me a bottle of her '08 1789 Pinot Noir to take to auction.
Next stop was at Vista Hills. If you need a few moments to relax, have a great glass of wine on a comfortable deck overlooking a beautiful valley, this is the place. I am always struck by how lovely the feel of this place ids. The pond in front sets the tone of elegance that stays with you all the way through the tasting. 
This year they gave us a bottle of the Marylhurst Pinot Noir. Hear is what they have to say about it:
"The 2008 Marylhurst is a single-vineyard pinot noir with a big, earthy nose and a smoky, fruit-driven palate. From young vines planted in 2005, this wine displays notes of tobacco, leather and red raspberries. 180 cases produced. The Wine Advocate: 89 Points. With densely packed red fruits, this savory, smooth-textured Pinot will evolve for 1-2 years and provide pleasure through 2018."
On the way back down the hill I stopped in at Red Ridge Farms for a bottle of Oregon Olive oil. They have over 17 acres and 13,000 olive trees on the property. The oil is currently supplemented with oil from down south but is mostly Oregon grown. Great tastes! I bought a bottle of the Arbosana Extra Virgin Olive Oil
and have been using it to fry my eggs and on my toast in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments on the project and add any wineries I have not listed.