Thursday, December 24, 2009

One Bottle, One Case

When I arrived at Anam Cara I was greeted by a very large dog and a small dog. They were VERY glad to see me, as if they new a dog lover when they saw one. After a couple of tries at connecting, Sheila Nicholas of Anam Cara Cellars was finally able to get a bottle in to my hands. I had been through and missed her, I had called with a wrong number, I had flaked out on a meeting, yet still she came through with a fine bottle of her best.
The '07 Nicholas Estate Pinot Noir ($33) is rated 90 points from Wine Advocate "...a lovely perfume of toast, mineral, spice box, cherry, and raspberry, Round, ripe, and elegant, this silky, savory wine is well balanced, lengthy and nicely priced."
It was aged for 11 months in 21% new french oak. The wine is made from 9% Pommard. 13%, Dijon 777,
23% 114, 26% 115, and 29% 667. Only 1,100 cases were produced.
 When I left she had to go out and keep my new friends from following me to my next stop.

I dropped of my collected wines with Rebecca at Northwest Wines To You, located at The Abbey outside Lafayette and headed off to pick up one bottle from Wayne Baily at Youngburg Hill Vineyards. The drive up was foggy but I hoped that when I got to the top the sun would break through...no such luck, but the trip was not without its rewards.
I encourage everyone who reads this to take the drive up and if you are in the market for a place to stay for a couple of days of wine country touring, this is among the best places to park yourself. The views are without peer!




From their own web site: "The spacious house features four suites and four luxuriously appointed guest rooms. All rooms have private in suite baths, comfortable chairs to relax in and enjoy the views. The house is centrally heated and air-conditioned. For the guests' enjoyment, on the first floor you will find a library, lounging salon and large dining room. The entire house is encircled by covered decks overlooking our vineyard and the valley to the Coast Range, Mount Jefferson, Mount Hood and the Willamette Valley."
When Wayne went in to get his "one bottle" it turned in to a CASE! He presented me with 12 bottles of the '06 Jordan Block Pinot Noir ($40). It has an intense flavors of black fruit, mushroom. chocolate, and pepper  and a soft mouth feel! Lush and rich and with good tannins, this is a keeper.
I plan on bringing Linda up for a stay one of these days as a treat for putting up with my crazy idea of gathering "one bottle" from all these wonderful wineries!

My last stop for the day, a short one by my usual standards, was Coelho Winery, but not for wine: they sell the  Brigittine Monks chocolate fudge! I picked up a box and was on my way. Someone is in for a treat on Christmas morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments on the project and add any wineries I have not listed.