Friday, April 12, 2019

Abbelone 2017 Pinot Gris

I am sipping a Pinot Gris this evening while I paint and think of things to write about. When I am grabbing a bottle to take up to the studio I usually pay a lot of attention to what I grab, but tonight I just reach into the cellar and grabbed what hit my hand. I opened it and poured a sip into my glass. The colour told me it was a Pinot Noir Blanc with to much skin contact, but no! It is a Pinot Gris WITH skin contact! 
Though it was not left on skin long enough to be considered an Orange Wine, it has some of the characteristics. The longer skin contact imparts the slight tannins that give the wine a little more depth and mouthfeel.
 I am working on a 24x48 canvas tonight and trying to stretch myself a bit but this wine is helping me decide what is next.
This is one of my all-time favourites for a Pinot Gris. Abbelone Vineyards 2017 Pinot Gris.

"World Eater" 24x48 oil and wax. First layer

First layers of oil and wax on what MAY become a painting. I set up challenges for myself and this is a challenge.
Good thing I have a lovely pale companion to assist.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments on the project and add any wineries I have not listed.