Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Visit With Matthew LaVelle

Yesterday afternoon I stopped by LaVelle's 5th Street location for a sip and to take them the etching of their big oak tree I had just picked up at the art museum.
My luck was running good as Mathew was there pouring.
They were rearranging things and had put the winemaker to work.
We chatted about Oregon wines, lack of Pride of Place on the part of some of the markets in Lane County, and I ordered a plate of Rogue Vally Creamery Blue Cheese to go with his '08 reserve.

Wow! This wine, Mathew's Reserve '08, is coming on strong. I had it when it first came out and it was able to garner a 89 from WS. Now, after being in bottle for a few years it is just about at its best. There may be a little aging left but it is just so delicious now.
There are rich deep flavors of strawberry, cherry, and plum, hints of mint and soil. The soft full mouth feel shows a fine balance of acid and fruit This wine is not usually open for tasting so buy a bottle and try it out, then go buy more and enjoy it now and down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments on the project and add any wineries I have not listed.